We currently offer five medically tailored grocery meal plan options to fit the dietary needs of our clients, while addressing the increasing prevalence of chronic illnesses in our community. Obesity, Diabetes, Hypertension/Cardiac Artery Disease and Chronic Kidney Disease are some of the diseases that like HIV, are aided by good nutrition. Our grocery lists include:
- Groceries for a Regular Healthy Meal Plan
- Groceries for a Diabetic-Friendly Meal Plan
- Groceries for a Heart Healthy Meal Plan
- Groceries for a Kidney-Friendly Meal Plan
- Groceries for a Vegetarian-Friendly Meal Plan
We have included a vegetarian-friendly list for clients that choose to avoid animal proteins but still require quality protein intake. All food boxes include at least 28 servings of appropriate fresh fruits and vegetables. All grocery lists making up our food boxes have been approved by a Registered Dietitian and can provide a balanced diet when choices are made with a variety of food groups as recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and ChooseMyPlate.
Groceries for a Regular Healthy Meal Plan
Participants who enjoy wide variety within the pantry items may select the Regular Healthy Meal Plan. These groceries support a General Healthful diet protective of healthy immune system and prevention of chronic disease.
- Minimizing added trans-fat and saturated fat
- Encouraging healthy choices like whole grains, fruits and vegetables
- Encouraging variety in proteins including lean choices like chicken and fish and plant based proteins like beans and peas
- Encouraging choices from every food group
Groceries for a Heart Healthy Meal Plan
Clients with Cardiovascular Disease including Heart failure, Stroke, Bypass or clients with Cardiovascular risk factors including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high triglycerides or who are going through smoking cessation may select groceries from our Heart Healthy Meal Plan.
- Diet low in Sodium (<350mg/serving), Cholesterol (<200mg/day) and Fat (50-75gm/day) *
- Minimizing added trans-fat and saturated fat, processed foods
- Less choices from Higher fat proteins like beef, pork and chicken quarters
- High in Fiber (Whole grains, fruits and vegetables) and Omega 3 (Salmon, Tuna, beans, nuts, seeds).
- More Lean protein: Chicken breast, Fish, Plant-based proteins
- Low Fat Milk and milk products
*Standards based on average 2000kcal diet
Groceries for a Vegetarian-Friendly Meal Plan
Clients who prefer a vegetarian diet which Focuses on Plant-based proteins like beans, peas, nuts, etc. may select from Groceries for a Vegetarian-Friendly Meal Plan.
- Additional proteins include seafood (fish) and eggs
- High fiber foods including whole grains, fruits and vegetables
- Encourages variety in food groups
Groceries for a Diabetic-Friendly Meal Plan
Clients with Diabetes type I or II, Prediabetes, or concern for weight management may enjoy groceries on a meal plan that highlights Limited carbohydrate choices or servings per meal/ grocery cart.
- 15-18 carbohydrate choices/day* or 225-275gm/day*
- Decreased intake of added sugars
- Foods high in Fiber including whole grains, fruits and vegetables
- Balanced diet with foods from all food groups
- *Standards based on average 2000kcal diet, with carbohydrates coming from variety of food sources (fruits, vegetables, grains, milk, etc.) enjoyed throughout each day.
Groceries for a Kidney-Friendly Meal Plan
Groceries for a Kidney-Friendly Meal Plan are recommended for Clients with Chronic Kidney Disease (Stage I-IV) or highly recommended for Clients on Dialysis (Chronic Kidney Disease V). For clients who would like another option, our dietitian also recommends groceries for a Heart Healthy meal plan.
- Low in Sodium (<350 mg/serving)
- Low in Potassium (<250mg/serving)
- Low in Phosphorus (<50mg/serving)
- High in Fiber including fruits and vegetables
*Standards based on average 2000kcal diet
Thanks to #PamGiganti and the whole crew at #PBS ’ #YOURSOUTHFLORIDA for helping us talk about #Poverello The program airs on #WPBT2 11/23/18 @ 7:30 PM w/rebroadcasts 11/25/18 @ 12N & #WXEL 11/25/18 @ 6:30 PM. #FoodIsMedicine #howardgreenfield #eatwellsfl #Livewellsfl #bewellsfl https://t.co/UwqNpAgpjy
Delicious #HealthyFood is a hallmark of Poverello’s Eat Well Center. A wide variety of foods is offered to encourage healthy eating because #FoodisMedicine 112 pantry items and 76 different #fruits & #vegetables seasonally selected each year. Now we can “pop up” anywhere in SFL! https://t.co/renANE0Y76