Volunteers play a critical role in the success of the Poverello. Many of our volunteers have remained with Poverello for many years. In a friendly, team oriented environment, volunteers gain a sense of personal satisfaction while acquiring valuable retail customer service skills. Currently, there are over 150 active volunteers that work at the thrift store and food bank; and these individuals are honored for their commitment and dedication to the organization. If you are interested in volunteering at the Poverello Center, please contact the volunteer coordinator at (954) 561-3663 ext.112.
The Poverello Food Bank is always hopping with activity! We are open Monday through Friday from 9:00AM to 3:00PM and Saturdays from 9:00AM to Noon. No culinary experience is needed, just a willingness to pitch in and get the job done. You must be at least 16 years old to volunteer in the Food Bank.
Please call 954-561-3663, Ext. 112 for more information.
The Poverello Center services are made possible with the help of hundreds of volunteers who have fun while giving just a few hours on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis. Individuals, schools, social groups, and corporate and faith-based teams contribute in many ways. We would not exist without our incredible volunteers. Can you lend a hand?
- Sorters / Pricing: examine donated items checking for quality, then pricing and hanging on
racks for transport to the thrift shop
Please call the Volunteer Coordinator 954-561-3663, ext 112 to arrange a time to meet and tour our Center and Thrift Shop
- Data Entry Specialist: Enter donor information into database, maintain database information.
- Office Assistant: Filing, answering phones, faxing, typing documents and letters
- Research Analyst: Conduct web based research on various AIDS related issues and current topics.
- Website Assistant: Assist web master with web design and layout, website maintenance
- Computer Assistant: Post items on eBay to be sold, answer emails regarding items already posted on eBay
- Sorters: Sort items to be posted and sold on eBay
Packaging Assistant: Package items for shipping to purchasers
Some opportunities that may be available:
- Receptionist: Register clients, answer phones
- Gym Assistant: make membership cards, oversee gym membership for 2 hour shift
At the Annex to the Friends Fitness Center, Poverello offers alternative remedies such as acupuncture, chiropractic and massage therapy practiced by licensed professionals for problems such as neuropathy, suffered by those living with HIV/AIDS. The practice of acupuncture involves the precise placements of needles at meridian points on the body to effect positive physical and mental changes. The Annex also offers both yoga, for physical relaxation and stress reduction, and mediation classes to assist with the spiritual needs of our clients. The requirements for participating in these services are that the client is a resident of Broward County, FL; their HIV status is positive, which is confirmed through a medical release letter from their primary physician that also includes a release to allow the client to perform exercise as well as receive alternative therapies. The medical release form can be obtained at Friends Fitness Center or through the client’s primary physician.
Special Events - To volunteer for special events during the year please call 954-561-3663, Ext. 112.